Why we want to train Southeast women in software engineering

By Geoffrey Anyanwu, Enugu

The Enugu State government said the need for the South East to compete favorably in the global tech ecosystem was the motivation behind its planned training of women in the area on software engineering.

Already, the state has made arrangements through its Technology Hub (Tech Hub) for the training of 400 women from various parts of the geopolitical area on said software engineering which would start from the first week of August.

Managing Director, Enugu Technology Hub and Youth Innovation, Chidubem Anowor, who disclosed to Enugu reporters, said the state also intends to use the free training to not only remove women from the market jobs, but also give them the means to create jobs. .

Anowor said the Tech Hub has already received a nine-month training grant from the Ford Foundation that will equip the 400 women with the technology skills that will put them in an advantageous position to earn money and compete favorably in the global technology ecosystem.

He noted that research conducted by his team indicated that the Southeast tech ecosystem lacked women and therefore would not compete favorably with others with such gaps.

He said, “We decided that we needed to change the Enugu narrative and change the index by increasing the number of women in tech and ultimately men can grow too. The tech ecosystem has been deficient with the number of women designing and building. In order for us to change the narrative and increase the innovation index for Enugu or the South East, we find that the people who can create the kick-start effect from which men can follow are women.

“We found out that for every 100 people who learn technology, only two of them are women and that’s why we haven’t been able to compete effectively with South West and Lagos especially because the number of women who are in technology is very small.”

Anowor said, “At the end of the program, we expect 80% of the women who participated in this program to become startups. People who are part of this program will always have products they are working on. Some of them are likely to solve some problems that currently exist. They will build on these projects and create solutions and at the end of this project we will get venture capital that will give grants to these people.

“People coming out of this program will be building in fintech, solving solutions in healthcare and supply chains, they will solving solutions using blockchain, they will solving solutions in real estate, solutions in agriculture and they will solve solutions in income.So 80% of the people who come out of the program will build solutions that people can actually use and there are already people waiting to fund them.The other 20% will be exported to companies, some in Nigeria and some abroad.

Participants according to him, would be required to enroll in the ongoing registration to enable them to have identity cards and certificates, and pointed out that to be qualified to participate, women must have computers and must be computer literate.

On why the tech industry hadn’t flourished in the Southeast region, he said, “What everyone in the Southeast does is, once you come any tech learning track it will go to lagos or abuja but if we are able to do this program and graduate these people 80% of the tech companies that will use these talents will open offices here so that when they open offices, those offices will be physical here and they will develop talent here and that will increase capital. ”

Gordon K. Morehouse