The new wave of IoT development
IoT devices give organizations the ability to automate various business operations, including day-to-day activities.
Device integration can include connecting mobile phones, televisions, smartwatches, laptops, and sensors – such as accelerometers or gyroscopes – to each other. IoT infrastructure and devices must communicate effectively to make devices operational for business and consumer use cases. This is where IoT oriented software engineering comes in.
IoT software engineering refers to the systematic development of the IoT infrastructure using a mixture of software and hardware solutions. IoT software engineering processes the data collected through sensors and processes it to make it logical for real-world applications with an intuitive user interface and visual representation.
The IoT has applications in many fields, such as aviation and avionics for status verification and sustainable activities, the automotive industry for engine parameters and vehicle safety, broadcast communications or still entertainment. Some of the more popular apps include:
- Smart cities
- smart electricity grids
- medical services
- intelligent market-based analysis
IoT Software Development Technologies
To develop IoT software solutions, organizations need three components: the development platform, the operating system, and the programming language.
IoT development platforms
Building and launching an IoT-based product starts with a platform. Developers should consider the different features offered by each platform to find their ideal solution. Here are some examples:
- IBM Watson. Tech giant IBM offers Watson as a platform for developing IoT solutions. It enables fast and secure implementation, online data analysis and critical risk visualization.
- Azure blue. Microsoft offers the Azure IoT development platform with features such as data collection, analysis, and visualization. Developers can also scale the IoT application and increase interoperability between more devices without making big changes.
- AWS. The benefits of choosing AWS IoT include AI integration, multi-layered security, and scalability. This development platform also offers software, connectivity, and monitoring and analytics services for devices.
IoT operating systems
Typically, IoT systems consist of low-power processing units, small RAMs, and limited storage. These limitations mean that the operating system must be light and not resource intensive. Here are some of the available operating systems:
- raspberry. A widely used operating system for IoT systems, Raspbian is optimized for Raspberry Pi hardware. The operating system is easy to use and compiles over 35,000 packages.
- Arm Mbed OS. This operating system is an open source operating system that meets all the requirements of IoT systems. Mbed OS offers multi-layered security as well as drivers for Bluetooth, thread, 6LoWPAN, Ethernet, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
IoT programming languages
Choosing the right programming language is also crucial for developing IoT applications. With limited resources, the code should be short and easy to compile. Here is a list of IoT-based programming languages:
- C and C ++. Both widely known languages are written with a material perspective in mind.
- Java. Known as the mobile programming language, Java is compatible with a variety of devices and is well suited for IoT devices.
- Python. Python is ideal for IoT applications because it can handle data-heavy applications.
Understand the architecture of the IoT system
Compared to any traditional software development process, the process of IoT architecture is significantly different. An IoT-based system consists of four architectural stages.
Step 1: Sensors and actuators
At this point, the architecture consists of sensors and actuators that collect data from the environment or object and transform it into useful data.
Step 2: Data preprocessing
The data collected by the sensors in step 1 is generally analog and raw. For IoT applications to use this data, it needs to be aggregated and converted to digital data. Data acquisition systems connected to sensor networks perform the analog-to-digital conversion.
Step 3: computer systems
Converted data cannot just pass through the data center. Engineers have to solve problems such as lack of space and security. Data needs to be preprocessed, and only meaningful results go to the cloud.
Step 4: the cloud
After important data is extracted, it is stored in traditional data centers or in the cloud. From there, IT pros can reshape the data and make it readable for end users.
Considerations for IoT Development
The IoT involves a huge exchange of data. Developers and IT teams should consider data security and continually take steps to improve it. Connections between multiple devices to a network expose them to potential security threats.
The communication channel is at the heart of all IoT software engineering. To protect it from problems, developers must follow strict protocols and established schemes.
IoT Market is Growing Rapidly, Expected to Reach $ 561 Billion in Capital by 2022, According to MarketsandMarkets Research global forecasts. With the growth of IoT based environments, there will be an increase in demand for IoT oriented software engineering.
About the Author
Hardik Shah is the Director of Mobility and IoT at Simform SARL. Working for eight years in the field of consumer and enterprise mobility, Hardik leads large-scale mobility programs covering platforms, solutions, governance, standardization and best practices.