Software Engineering Teacher Job with DEAKIN UNIVERSITY
- Based at our Burwood campus
- Full time and continuous
- Level E $189,301 + 17% superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide.
The professor will be responsible for providing exceptional leadership in research, teaching, and engagement in the field of software engineering. The appointee will promote the discipline of software engineering and the School of Information Technology, providing leadership within the academic and professional communities in Australia and overseas. The appointee will help lead the development and service of the School’s program of teaching, research and industry engagement nationally and internationally.
Your main responsibilities will include the duty to:
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the discipline that is applied to inform the design of units in the field of software engineering
- Continually seek to improve academic standards and make a distinguished contribution to teaching and educational innovation at the University
- Provide leadership in curriculum development, course design and innovation in teaching, including the provision of feedback and more general mentorship, taking into account national and international developments
- Guide and assist less experienced colleagues to develop their teaching capacity and more generally to develop the careers of junior staff
- Lead teams of teachers to develop effective unit curricula and learning resources (including through unit and course leadership roles) that influence teaching in their discipline and in school
- Lead and develop productive, high-quality research teams to undertake significant research programs, scholarships, and creative activities that generate high-impact results in the field of software engineering
- Provide leadership in their discipline, fostering the research, scholarship and innovation of other individuals and groups within their school, strategic research center (SRC) or institute, their discipline and related disciplines
- Develop and lead academic or other collaborations that enable new research or creative activities recognized nationally and internationally
- Communicate results widely to disciplines, other sectors and the community, including nationally and internationally
To be successful, you will:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- A distinguished record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative program design
- An internationally recognized research reputation supported by publications in high-quality journals and conferences
- Success in securing and timely completion of competitive external research grants
- Successful engagement with research, community, industry and government to enhance the discipline’s national and international standing
- Demonstrated success and passion for teaching, research and/or administrative leadership
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
Please submit your curriculum vitae, a short cover letter and your answers to the main selection criteria before June 28, 2022
For confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact John Yearwood, Head of School on [email protected]
Deakin University job offers are conditional on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory proof. You can view a copy of the University’s COVID-19 vaccination procedure.
Are you ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation rests on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse work environment with opportunities for growth and career development. We believe that a progressive and thriving culture will ensure people choose to come and stay with Deakin and contribute to our continued success.
We value diversity and aim to create an inclusive environment that defends, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, as well as people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientations and genders.
We understand that our academic staff is increasingly diverse and we recognize that academic careers can be put on hold in many life circumstances. Accomplishments versus Opportunities emphasizes the quality rather than the quantity of research output. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements in relation to the opportunity.